The rain needles the roof while the wind sounds like it’s being forced through a railway underpass. If we were at sea, instead of up on stilts in a boatyard, I wonder how much warning we would have of such weather and if we would find somewhere protected. The alternative, I imagine, would be to use the parachute anchor and drop the sails. My eyes are heavy from the insomnia of the night – not helped by the strobing of lightning at 3am and the thunder that kicked in about seven seconds after each display.

All day I puzzled over the computer – trying to get two different networks working – and finally giving up just before 10pm, having rendered both of them inaccessible. The wifi antenna, which is also a router, is at the tip top of the 55 foot mast – meaning that any reset button (should one exist) is far enough away for me to try every other possible approach. It’s been so long since I delved into computer troubleshooting – having switched from PC to Mac ten years ago – that I am out of practice. I can feel my brain dragging itself over potholes in my memory – staggering over speedhumps, feeling its way.

Such marathons used to be quite enjoyable – BC. Before Children. Now it is generally impossible to glue myself to a problem for hours and hours on end, because people need feeding, arguments require moderating and I keep getting cramps from being hunched on the floor near where the antenna cable protrudes, squishing myself smaller as people go to and from the toilet. I got back up at 3am and persevered with it for another hour and a half. No dice.

This morning, the only thought that occurs to me is to upgrade the firmware of both the antenna and the separate router, give wifi a miss and dig a network cable out of the shipping container to make the connections physical. Maybe that will help. It is so quick to type, and yet will probably eat at least two hours. And meanwhile I’m supposed to be doing the food shopping, practicing my violin, working on my octoplait splice and studying for my boat license